In an effort to reduce a backlog of outstanding nonviolent misdemeanor warrants, the Bakersfield Police Department is organizing a “Clear-Up Your Warrant Day.”
“The Bakersfield Police Department currently has an extensive backlog of outstanding nonviolent misdemeanor warrants. These warrants are nonviolent in nature; including property related offenses, vehicle code violations, decade old infractions and low-level cases. Outstanding warrants do not have an expiration date, creating the backlog,” wrote the Bakersfield Police Department in a press release.
The event hopes to “provide members of the community with nonviolent, citable warrants the opportunity to receive a citation with a new court date without the fear of going to jail. Individuals who qualify to participate in this program will be issued a citation with a new court day and will not be booked into jail,” stated the press release.
The following dates and locations from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. have been scheduled to provide individuals in the community a day and time convenient for them.
- Thursday, September 17, 2015 Wayside Park-1270 Ming Ave.
- Monday, September 21, 2015 Patriots Park-1600 New Stine Rd.
- Wednesday, September 24, 2015 MLK Park-1000 S. Owens St.
- The following warrants are not eligible for a citation:
- Any Felony
- The misdemeanor cited in the warrant involves violence (including domestic violence).
- The misdemeanor cited in the warrant involves a firearm.
- The misdemeanor cited in the warrant involves resisting arrest.
- The misdemeanor cited in the warrant involves giving false information to officers.
- The warrant of arrest indicates that the person is not eligible to be released on a notice to appear.
Individuals who cannot attend these dates, or if they do not qualify for this program, can still contact the Bakersfield Police Department Warrant /Fugitive Detail at (661)326-3842 and make arrangement to turn themselves in.