South Kern Sol, Staff
Pride Week is here! And to celebrate it, California State University, Bakersfield (CSUB) will be hosting the 8th Annual Ally Rally on Wednesday, April 19, at 6 p.m.
“CSUB is committed to making campus inviting and accepting to all students, no matter the gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, and/or religion,” stated a press release sent out by the CSUB.
“The Ally Rally supports the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community. The event is in partnership with ASI, Campus Programming, the Psych Club and Bakersfield Parents, Families and friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG),” the press release stated.
A panel discussion will be held about what it means to be an ally and supporter for LGBT+ students, faculty, staff, and community members. The panel members will include:
- Audrey Chevez, Director, Bakersfield Aid’s Project and Transgender Advocate;
- Michael Harville, CSUB Counselor and Safe Zone Coordinator;
- Jan Hefner, Executive Director of the Gay and Lesbian Center of Bakersfield;
- Alyssa Olvera, President, LGBTQ+Network;
- Randy Schultz, Dean, CSUB Antelope Valley Center and Campus Ally; and
- Valerie Schultz, Columnist and Freelance Writer.
“The 8th annual Ally Rally provides a safe place to examine stigmatizing attitudes about the LBGTQ+ community. Being shamed for who you are is harmful. In this current political climate, it is especially important that we explore any implicit bias we may have,” said Yvonne Ortiz-Bush, assistant professor in the Advanced Studies Department and director of the Educational Counseling program.
The event is free for everyone and free parking is available in Lot M at the intersection of Don Hart East and Kroll.
Please contact Dr. Yvonne Ortiz-Bush for additional information at 661-654-3087 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.