Kern Sol News is looking for a passionate reporter to join our team.
The project coordinator and reporter will work collaboratively with the program’s youth participants and local program partners.
Some of the specific duties include:
- Coordinate South Kern Sol’s 2020 Census media project that emphasizes community reporting and journalism, story research, development of individual voice/opinion, presentations, and critical thinking skills.
- Provide youth with writing/editorial, technical and mentoring support to complete assignments.
- Identify and source additional multimedia story content from like-minded contributors not in the core youth program cohort.
- Support ED in ensuring that the project is providing a safe and supportive space for youth reporters and staff, including recruitment of new youth.
- Be ready and available for field assignments directed by the South Kern Sol ED, with some assignments on very short notice — and become a “rapid responder” to cover breaking news or other time-sensitive content needs, as directed.
- File at least three stories a month for South Kern Sol publication (print, video, photography, multimedia, etc.)
Those interested in applying must have excellent writing and editing skills, be familiar with social media, be able to work independently and be deadline driven, and have a driver’s license.
It is preferred the candidate have journalism experience, have experience working with youth, is bilingual and have a Bachelor’s degree.
You can find more information about the job here. To apply, submit a resume to Reyna@southkernsol.org.