POSITION: Project Coordinator and Reporter
LOCATION: Kern County, California
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: The South Kern Sol youth media program was launched in 2011 to train young people living in South Kern County in media production skills and to provide a distribution outlet to share their stories with a wider audience. South Kern Sol has since expanded beyond covering South Kern to covering all of Kern County. South Kern Sol multimedia content producers are provided an opportunity to report on and discuss the issues closest to them and their communities, while also developing communication and leadership skills. These components are essential to building a base of knowledge that can empower and grow the capacity of youth in Kern County to affect change in their community.
THE POSITION: Local resident in the Kern County area in the role of non-exempt full-time staff project coordinator and reporter for the Kern Sol News program. The person who fills this position will report directly to the South Kern Sol Executive Director (ED) and will work collaboratively with the program coordinator and local program partners.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities: ● Media/Journalism Production:
- Manages and coordinates development and implementation of public awareness projects
- Plans, coordinates, and implements special events to create public awareness
- Coordinates meetings and collaborations with network of media partners
- A self-starter who generates content for publication on Kern Sol News’ website at a minimum of twice per week
- Posts to social media platforms daily
- Adhere to and practice principles of successful youth development work: including emotional/physical safety, healthy relationship building, leadership development, community involvement and skills building.
- Support youth with writing/editorial, technical and mentoring support to complete assignments.
- Support with coordinating youth media programs that emphasize community reporting and journalism, story research, development of individual voice/opinion, presentations, and critical thinking skills.
- Provide youth with writing/editorial, technical and mentoring support to complete assignments as needed
- Conducts interviews with community members for stories
- Other duties as required
- Excellent writing, editing, and interviewing skills are necessary.
- Journalism experience is highly desired.
- User knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud applications, and /or other digital editing tools, such as Canva, is highly desired.
- Some adeptness at use of social media tools (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) is required.
- Able to work on assignments independently and deliver quality work on time is required.
- Familiarity with and connection to communities in and around Kern County.
- Bilingual English/Spanish, Punjab, and Tagalog and other language fluencies are a plus.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and the ability to drive within Kern County and California as needed is required.