With the temporary closure of K-12 school across Kern County in response to COVID-19, school districts are working to deliver food to the people they serve.
The Kern High School District’s and Bakersfield City School District’s Nutrition Services Department will provide free breakfast and lunch to all children ages 2 to 18 during the closure, beginning Wednesday though Thursday, April 9 for KHSD and through April 14 for BCSD.
“Nutrition Services is working with KHSD Transportation Department and the Kern County Superintendent of School Transportation Department to distribute meals directly to out most vulnerable population,” the news release said.
Students are able to receive meals from any elementary or high school, regardless of the district they attend, according to a news release by KHSD.
KHSD and BCSD will serve grab-and-go meals between 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday through Friday. There will be drive through and pick-up locations.
“We ask that parents and students remain in their vehicles while Nutrition Services distributes meals to each child in the car,” the KHSD news release said.
Students must be present to receive their meals, KHSD and BCSD say. Meals will not be provided during Spring Break, BCSD said in a video.
Kern High students with special meal accommodations on file must communicate with Nutrition Services office staff by calling (661)827-3190. BCSD students with special meal accommodations on file must call nutrition services at (661)631-4733 by 2 p.m. one day in advance to order meals.
The following schools will be KHSD meal distribution sites:
- Arvin High
- Bakersfield High
- Centennial High
- East Bakersfield High
- Foothill High
- Frontier High
- Golden Valley High
- Highland High
- Independence High
- Kern Valley High
- Liberty High
- Mira Monte High
- North High
- Ridgeview High
- Shafter High
- South High
- West High
- Stockdale High
- East Belle Terrace
- Vista West
The following are meal distribution sites for BCSD. If your child’s school is not listed below, their pick-up location will be at the school they attend.
- If your child attends Chipman, the pick-up location is at Eissler.
- If your child attends Chavez, the pick-up location is at Fletcher.
- If your child attends Downtown, the pick-up location is at Franklin.
- If your child attends Compton, your pick-up location is at Harding.
- If your child attends McKinnley, the pick-up location is at Emerson.
- If your child attends Munsy, the pick-up location is at Curran.
- If your child attends Noble, the pick-up location is at Washington.
- If your child attends Sierra, the pick-up location is at Garza.
- If your child attends Rafer or SEAL Center, the pick-up location is at Emerson.
Kern Sol News is a youth-led journalism organization in Kern County. In their stories, reporters shine light on health and racial disparities in under-served communities across Kern. For more stories by South Kern Sol, head to southkernsol.org.