The Kern High School District is partnering with a local nonprofit organization Lynx to hold a Necessities drive-thru drop off Drive this weekend to help local students in need.
In order to help students, the organizations are going to be accepting donations on Saturday Oct. 24 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at their location on 2540 F Street, 93301.
Lynx’s main purpose is to link homeless students and students facing hardships enrolled in the Kern High School District with clothing, school supplies, hygiene items, and food to provide aide in order to improve their lives.
Behind the scenes, Lynx organizers work with school administrators, counselors, and teachers to identify students who may need such items or assistance. Once identified, students can develop a “wish list” which Lynx works to fulfill.
“At Lynx, our mission is to level the high school playing field by changing stigmas, judgments and opportunities,” said Lynx founder Melissa Benson.
The KHSD District and Lynx are in need of the following items:
• New male/female undergarments
• Teen girls’ clothing and shoes (new or gently worn)
• Teen boys’ clothing and shoes (new or gently worn)
• Hygiene items: body wash, deodorant, shampoo & conditioner, sanitary items, and toothpaste
• School supplies: backpacks, filler paper, ink pens, pencils, highlighters, and Sharpies
• Sleeping bags, twin size air mattress
• Non-perishable food items: peanut butter, granola bars, instant oatmeal, protein shakes, can
items, pasta, and pasta sauce
If requested, a tax-deductible receipt is available for those who donate.
Michelle Blalock, KHSD Project Specialist/Homeless & Foster Youth, explained, “Lynx has helped so many students in our district whose families are experiencing financial hardship. They are amazing to work with and passionate about what they do.”
High school students are already experiencing uncertain times, due to distance learning. Providing necessary products is incredibly helpful for those with additional struggles.
For those who plan to donate, the organizations ask that participants wear a mask. Remember, they will be accepting donations this upcoming Saturday from 10am- 2pm.