Kern Housing Authority accepting applications for rental, utility assistance program

April 2, 2021 /

The Housing Authority of Kern County is now accepting applications for the Rent and Utility Assistance Program.

The Rent and Utility Assistance Program is meant to help Kern County residents who have been financially impacted by COVID-19.

“Any renter in Kern County who is at or below 80 percent of the area median incomes who has been potentially affected by COVID-19 can now get assistance paying the rent and utility bills to help make sure they can keep a roof over their head while we get through this pandemic,” said Heather Kimmel, Assistant Executive Director of the Rent and Utility Assistance Program.

If you were impacted financially by COVID-19 you may be eligible to receive assistance for rent and/or utility costs if you meet the following requirements:

  1. At least one member of your household qualifies for unemployment or has experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or experienced a financial hardship due to COVID-19.
  2. Demonstrate a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability
  3. Have a household income at or below 80 percent of the area median
  4. Are a renter in the city of Bakersfield or Kern County

Fastest method to apply is online here. You can also apply by email by downloading the application here for English and here for Spanish and emailing it to with all the required documents or by mailing your application to Rent and Utility Assistance Program Housing Authority of the County of Kern, 601 24th Street, Bakersfield, CA 93301.

Applications are available in English and in Spanish. If you have any questions please contact the office at 661-578-5339. For more information on the Rent and Utility Assistance Program, visit the website

This story was made possible through a partnership made by United COVID Coalition and Housing Authority.